Built around 1853, this beautiful example of a Greek Revival home is quietly tucked away behind a row of trees, and at one time had grand views of the Mississippi River. The local village was layed out by the original owner Evert Westervelt, comprising of 320 acres purchased from the wives of Jane Wells and Elizabeth Faribault, and properly named Westervelt. In 1859, the town was renamed Frontenac in honor of Louis de Buade de Frontenac, governor general of Canada between 1670-1698.
Since Mr. Westervelt owned the land, he cut out six large lots of six acres each above the river, and built the first large home of the area in 1853 on the best lot. The first of its kind for the area, the home’s dolomite stone foundation was from the local quarry and most of the mill work was shipped in from out East. The home was named Locust Lodge by the owner for the locust trees on the land.
In the photo above you can visualize the details common with Greek Revival – corners of Doric pilasters, decorative frieze with dentils, 6 over 6 window sash, and a gable will full pediment. Around 1900, a one-story addition was added to the rear of the home for a kitchen and bathroom.