Archive for the ‘Prairie’ Category

The E. S. Hoyt House in Red Wing

Saturday, February 11th, 2017
300 Hill Street Red Wing E. S. Hoyt House

300 Hill Street, Red Wing

Known as one of Minnesota’s best examples of the Prairie School style, as well as one of the finest designed by its architects, William Purcell and George Elmslie, this modern home for the time was the talk of the town when construction was completed in 1913. Built for Elmore S. Hoyt, then President of the Red Wing Union Stoneware Company, the home was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places in 1975. The house remained in the Hoyt family until 1976, and has only had two other owners in its long history.

300 Hill Street Fireplace mosaic glass tile

Close up of the fireplace glass mosaic

Hoyt was born in Kansas, arriving in Red Wing in 1881 at the age of eighteen years. He began working as a salesman with the Minnesota Stoneware Company and eventually married a local veterinarian’s daughter, Florence McCart, in 1888. In 1893, Hoyt was named general manager of the company. He later helped engineer the merger of the Minnesota Stoneware Company and the Red Wing Union Stoneware Company in the early 1900s, becoming it’s president. The company eventually became Red Wing Pottery, a name that still resonates with collectors and enthusiasts today.

Well positioned on its lot, the Elmore Sherman Hoyt House stands as a testament of the modern movement that still resonates today. Sections of the second floor cantilever over the main floor with many of the brackets featuring fret-sawn ornamental panels of botanical and geometric details designed by Elmslie. The exterior rose-colored stucco was specifically chosen by the architects to pair with the Oriental brick brought in from Brazil, Indiana. A decorative screen, befitting the architectural style, was added in 1915 by the architects to the passageway leading from the house to the garden shed and garage.

Three panel art glass pocket door into living room

One of the standout features of the Hoyt House is the 99 diamond-patterned art glass windows arranged in long bands around the home, and inside too. Designed by Elmslie, who had an artistic specialty for ornamental motifs, the windows consist of pale, opalescent colors and clear glass to allow as much natural sunlight into the home as possible. The living room, dominated by windows, features a massive art glass pocket door, as well as a built-in bench and wood burning fireplace. The decorative mosaic panel above the fireplace, designed by Edward L. Sharretts of Mosaic Arts Shops in Minneapolis, is made of ultramarine, green, and black opal glass and porcelain with antique dull gold leaf fired on, and depicts a moonlit scene with clouds and trees. In the dining room, two grand built-in buffets with art glass flank the entry into the pantry, where the original telephone room has been converted to a half bath. The kitchen is the only room that has had extensive updates over the years, and features a set of cabinets that were originally used in the living room as bookcases.


The E. S. Hoyt House has been featured in the following books:

Minnesota’s Own: Preserving Our Grand Homes
At Home on the Prairie: the Houses of Purcell and Elmslie
Historic Homes of Minnesota
A Face of Red Wing

UPDATE: SOLD  It is also currently For Sale. Make sure to view the 3-D interactive home tour!

Historic Purcell & Elmslie Home in Red Wing

Monday, September 20th, 2010

A home designed by the famous Prairie style Minneapolis architectural firm Purcell and Elmslie was recently sold for $525,000. Known as the E. S. Hoyt House, the home has only had two owners in the last 100 years. It was built in 1913 by the President of the Red Wing Stoneware Co, Mr. E. S. Hoyt.

Kees and Colburn Designed Home in Minneapolis

Saturday, May 29th, 2010
2008 Pillsbury Ave S, Minneapolis

Built in 1905 for Samuel J. Hewson, this home was designed by the Minneapolis firm of Kees and Colburn, with the interior of the home designed by John S. Bradstreet. Mr. Hewson worked for the Menomonie Hydraulic Press Brick Company in the late 1880’s and then later incorporated The Minnesota Paving Brick Company in 1908.

Interior decorator John Bradstreet was known for his Arts and Craft design, incorporating into the home a willow tree design on the fireplace surround tiles and leaded glass cabinet doors.

The home was recently put on the Minnesota Preservation Alliance 10 Most Endangered Places 2010 due to the fact the home was a foreclosure and left vacant. The homeowners tried stripping the place of all its decorative and historic elements to sell them at an estate sale before the bank took back the property. Luckily, they were discovered and stopped! The Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission then took steps to designate the property as a Minneapolis landmark protecting it while a designation study was completed. The house has since been put up for sale and looks to have sold to a new owner!

The house in 1914 and in 1974. Kees and Colburn also designed this home on Mount Curve. If you look at the porch pillars of each home, you can see the similar design in the drip molding.

Mount Curve Historic Home in Minneapolis

Sunday, April 25th, 2010

1712 Mount Curve, Minneapolis

The oldest house on its block, this home was built in 1906. It was built for Lawrence S. Donaldson by Kees and Colburn with obvious influences from the Prairie school of design and Beaux Arts.

The old home has some wonderful architectural details that would cost a fortune to replicate in today’s homes. The front porch is absolutely beautiful with its drip molding and ornate trim. The chimneys even have similar drip molding and trim at the top.

The last recorded sale of the homes was in 2000 with a purchase price of $2.825 Million. Taxes alone on the property are around $42,000 per year! But with the unbeatable views, I am sure that is a small price to pay. The home has about 9500 square feet and 6 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms.

Kees and Colburn also designed this home on Mount Curve. If you look at the porch pillars of each home, you can see the similar design in the drip molding.

Lake Harriet Historic Home in Minneapolis

Saturday, October 20th, 2007

This weeks Historic Home in Minneapolis is 4700 Lake Harriet Pkwy W.

Built in 1910 by Bertrand and Chamberlin, it was designed for Harry S. and Paula Pierce. The home sits on a small hill east of Lake Harriet, giving sweeping views of the Lake. Influences of Prairie Style are seen in the windows and roof design,. The most striking feature of the home is the frieze located on the second story which depicts a wooded scene with knights and maidens.

The most recent sale of the home was in 1997 for $745,000 and has an estimated value, now 10 years later, for just over $2 Million. It’s interior was updated at the time of sale with about 3000 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 4 baths, sunrooms, verandas and more.