612 Vermillion, Hastings
Known as the Van Dyke – Libbey House, the grand Second Empire historic home was built in 1868 at a cost of $25,000 by banker and dry good merchant William J. Van Dyke. The exterior is constructed of Chaska brick. From 1880-1911, the Rowland C. Libbey family resided in the home. Mr. Libbey was Mayor of Hastings twice, and also owned the town lumber mill.
In 1914, the building was leased by the current owner, Mr. Millet, and used as a sanatorium. First listed as the Hope Sanatarium, it was later named St. Raphael’s Hospital. In 1929, the hospital moved and the home was converted to apartments.